October 12, 2010

Simple and Elegant

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Sachin and I spend a lovely weekend with two cakes to make and decorate on Friday night, a busy day Saturday and the rest of the long weekend spent with me nursing a cold. Phooey.

Yet, before the cold hit me, I was able to churn out two cakes, that's right, TWO cakes in one evening!

It seems that as I make more cakes, they are taking less time to make as initially. So, instead of spending eight hours on a cake, I can spend four and be just as happy with it. Sweet!

So, this is the second cake we made for the weekend. It's a vanilla cake with almond buttercream. Yum!

It was to celebrate two birthdays: a 66th for "Poppa" and a 12th for his grand-daughter, Alex. So, here came the challenge: making a cake appropriate for both a man in his 60s and a young pre-teen girl. What to do... KISS! Keep it simple, stupid.

So, I went with a clean, white base and added pretty ribbons alon the bottom in light blue and chocolate brown (easily one of my favourite colour combos). This was the finished product:

There was also the question of personalizing the cake to suit both birthday celebrants. I didn't want the cake to look too busy, though, so I cut out little medallions of sorts from blue fondant and hand-painted their names in brown dye on them, along with their ages.

They went with the cake and the client was able to place them wherever she wished.






No comments:

Post a Comment