October 24, 2010

Everyone loves a companion. Especially when they're a cube!

This cake was likely among our biggest challenges, but boy did it pay off!

A few weeks ago, we were contacted about making a "Weighted Companion Cube." I had no idea what this was, but Sachin got excited; this entered the geek domain, one in which he is at home with his Green Lantern Tshirts and deluxe collector's Stormtrooper helmet.

So, initially, I thought this was a computer, or a video game console and innocently went about explaining it as such when asked which cake I was working on.

*obnoxious buzzer sound to indicate I'm wrong*

Turns out, the Companion Cube is not a real thing.. well, it's real, but it's an object from within a video game, called Portal. And it looks like this:

Okay, so it doesn't go on someone's head - I just thought it was funny.

Anyways, Sachin helped by laying on the
cake layers, the raspberries, the pressure. "Honey, you have to get this one right. You have to be accurate and make it perfect or else they'll know."

So, first steps first, make it delicious. The cake was a moist chocolate cake with vanilla
buttercream and fresh raspberries.

Yum! There were four layers of cake, piled high onto each other and two layers of fresh raspberries in between. It was a 6" cake and we had to make it into a cube, which was a challenge in itself.

I started covering the cake in fondant and after getting the first layer of pink on and then adding the darker shade of grey, it was getting quite late. Sachin had to force me to go to bed, because I would have spent all night on it. The bad part was, however, that it just didn't look right. The pink lines were wide and uneven and I just wasn't happy with it.

I woke up early the next morning - on due date - and knew what I had to do: I was going to peel off the fondant,
re-ice the cake and start over. This was just piling a bit more stress onto an already stressful order, but I really needed to get this cake looking just right.

And in the end, I was happy with it. What was even better, was that Sachin gave it the thumbs up, calling it a "kick-ass Companion Cube cake!"

The next big test was to get it to the client's house and get the thumbs up from him. I knew he wanted it to be perfect: he had ordered this for his girlfriend and had clearly put a lot of love and thought into making her birthday party perfect - the cake was an important factor in this.

Luckily, he loved it, saying it looked even better than the Companion Cube cake photo he had sent me when he initially put in the order! Very. Cool.

"
The cake that you made was a huge hit. Not only was everyone really
impressed with how perfect it was in its appearance, but it was also
delicious to boot! Thank you so much. You helped make a good birthday
party great!

I will send you photos of the night, also we will be sure to link to
your blog on facebook.

Thanks again,

you are a real artist."

Now that felt really good. But then, to make it even better, I got this:

"Thank you so much for making the absolute most perfect birthday cake I've ever had. It was amazing looking and probably the most delicious thing I've eaten in a long time. All of my friends were so impressed by it. I'm really glad you could make one of my most favourite video games into a delicious dessert.

In this cake, the cake was not a lie, it was just delicious.

THANK YOU!"

How can you not feel like a million bucks when you find out something you made elicited this?

Happy birthday!

1 comment:

  1. I meant to type "In this case" instead of "In this cake" but I had desserts (and many beers) on the brain.

    THANK YOU AGAIN! (I'm eating the last of it for breakfast.)

    ReplyDelete