May 27, 2011

Let's go gluten-free!

Our dear friend, Shivani, celebrated her birthday, recently, in Toronto.


When she invited us to go, we knew we couldn't miss it. But when she ordered a cake... we knew it would be a fun challenge because not only did the cake have to be egg-free and gluten free, it would also have to FLY from Halifax to Toronto!


Sachin pulled together the cakes, which tasted delicious; suprisingly moist, tasty and fluffy!


Then, I pulled everything together with an almond buttercream. Mmmm....



I covered the cakes in black fondant and stacked them. I knew flying would be a challenge, so I had to reinforce it with extra dowels and make sur they were solidly kept together. Not only was there a risk for turbulence, but I wasn't completely sure what the change in air pressure would do to the cake.


I also had to determine how to transport it and if I would be allowed to bring a cake as carry on - there was absolutely no way I would be willing to check the cake for obvious reasons. (hums to self: "United breaks guitars")


Once we landed, we checked the cake (it got to sit in first class, while we sat in the very, very, back of the plane). Hurray! It was fine.

Next, I had to decorate! I had only covered the cake with the black fondant before leaving Halifax, so once in Toronto, I had to put all of the finishing touches! The colours were going to be black, silver and magenta. It was held at a hotel and the theme was "formal bal" so we wanted it to be classy but still have a bit of spunk, kind of like the birthday girl!

This was the finished product (unfortunately, we didn't really manage to get great photos of it, but hopefully you can get an idea!):


The top of the cake has a bursting open effect and is filled with silver dragées. On the bottom tier, I layered fondant paisleys and swirls to give it more depth. It was a huge hit with everyone and we had a blast at the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment